Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Microblogs of Design of Everyday Things

Chapter 1
Summary
In the first chapter, The Psychopatholgy of Everyday Things, the author begins by explaining many different examples of how different devices complexity are in relation to the user being able to figure them out. He repeatedly makes the point that feature bloat for the evolution of products is a bad thing when costs are also being cut on top of it.


Discussion
Although I see the intentions of the author of this first chapter, I had problems with what he said overall and what he missed. I agree that some technologies are most assuredly complicated for a lot of end users, the author basically only focused on the 1990's landline phone as his main punching bag. I would have like to have seen more products with better problems. I just was not convinced possibly because I was too hung up on the fact that I believe that users at the time chose to take affordability over ease of use. This seems like a natural capitalistic function.

No comments:

Post a Comment